After undergoing a teeth whitening treatment, it is important to note that the process is not a one-time, permanent solution. If you frequently consume teeth-staining foods and drinks, your teeth will begin to stain within a month or so. Even if you avoid these items, you may require a follow-up whitening procedure or touch-up within a year.
To maintain white teeth for as long as possible, here are some helpful tips and tricks:
- Avoid foods and drinks that can stain your teeth, such as black tea and strong coffee. If you do indulge in these items, use a straw to bypass your teeth and drink them directly into your throat.
- If brushing and flossing immediately after consuming staining beverages and food is not possible, be sure to rinse and gargle afterward. If you are out at a restaurant or party and unable to rinse, do so as soon as you get home.
- Regular oral hygiene is critical for maintaining white and healthy teeth. Brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once, if not twice, daily to keep your teeth clear of plaque and debris.
- Use teeth-whitening toothpaste once or twice a week to enhance the whiteness of your teeth.
- Don’t forget to ask your dentist about follow-up touch-up treatments and be sure to schedule them as recommended.